Your new design will be uploaded in:
Please contact Delivery Team on
0113 3200 750 if you have any queries.

Mental Health First Aid Support

Your Mental Health First Aiders are here for you…

There are plenty of different types of support out there, and a Mental Health First Aider can help you access them. Mental Health First Aiders are a point of contact if you, or someone you are concerned about such as your child, are experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. They are not therapists or psychiatrists but they can give you initial support and signpost you to appropriate help if required. If you have any questions about Mental Health First Aid at please contact.

Old Sarum Primary School has two mental health first aiders. They are John Jones, Headteacher, and Angela Bansal, Emotional Literacy Support Advisor.

Mental First Aiders have completed a two day course which qualifies them to:

  • Understand the important factors affecting mental ill health – Identify the signs and symptoms for a range of mental health conditions –
  • Use ALGEE to provide Mental Health First Aid to someone experiencing a mental health issue or crisis –
  • Listen non-judgementally and hold supportive conversations using the Mental Health First Aid action plan –
  • Signpost people to professional help, recognising that Mental Health First Aiders do not replace the need for ongoing professional medical support

It’s important to remember that Mental First Aiders and not therapists or counsellors and do not teach people how to diagnose mental health conditions or provide ongoing support. Instead, their role is to act as a point of contact and reassurance for a families that may be experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress.

In an emergency or a point of crisis

In an emergency or at a crisis point …

Where you think a child is suffering from emotional and behavioural difficulties that are acute and severe, the child should be referred to

  • his or her GP for an initial assessment through the health services. Your GP or the school can help you make a referral to the Child and Mental Health Service (CAMHs) at Salisbury Hospital.

Where you think that your child’s physical well-being and safety are at risk, or the child has harmed him/herself they should be taken to the local Accident and Emergency Department.

Where a child appears to be suffering from:

  • psychosis
  • severe Depression with possible suicidal intent

he or she should be referred to the local duty consultant psychiatrist or whoever is covering for them through the local Accident & Emergency Department.

Where (rarely) compulsory admission to hospital is required, a Mental Health Act assessment can be arranged.

Where the child or young person has attempted suicide, he or she should be admitted without delay to their local Accident and Emergency department.  Seek advice from the emergency services.  In the case of overdose, stay with the young person until help arrives, ensure their airway is clear to prevent inhalation of vomit and wherever possible take any pills/drugs or prescribed medication which may have been used to give to the medical staff.